Equine Wellness Care for the Health & Longevity of Your Horse
Horses are living longer, better lives today due in part to advancements in preventive medicine, nutrition, and geriatric care. A yearly exam gives us the opportunity to catch problems early or before they even start.
Your horse’s annual wellness exam will include the following:
- Comprehensive physical exam—This allows us to evaluate the overall health and condition of your horse.
- Equine dental exam—It is important to check the oral health of our patients. The health of the teeth, gums, and tongue are checked, and we will decide if routine “floating” (an Old English term that means “to file”) is needed or more involved dental care is necessary.
- Vaccinations—Vaccines are an important component to keep your horse healthy and stop preventable diseases from impacting your horse and that of the local equestrian community. Vaccines are recommended based on the age, individual exposure risks, and local conditions.
- Deworming—If you do your own deworming, we will help you to be sure that frequency and products used are correct. If you want us to deworm, we will design a custom program to fit your horse’s needs. Also, fecal egg counts can be used to evaluate the efficacy of deworming in certain situations.
- Equine ophthalmology—Part of the wellness exam includes a careful examination of your horse’s eyes, checking for cataracts, recurrent uveitis (moon blindness), congenital defects, and any other abnormalities.
- Living conditions and herd health—Because we come to you, we are able to evaluate your horse’s living conditions and offer suggestions, if needed, enabling you to provide the optimal environment for your horse.
- Overview of the patient—You may have a particular concern or we may identify an issue that needs additional investigation. This may include specific body and organ system examinations and testing that can be set up at your convenience.
To schedule your horse’s next wellness exam, please contact us. We look forward to visiting you and your horse.