Experienced Equine Lameness Evaluation & Treatment
Lameness can happen any time, to a horse of any age or discipline. Our goal is to identify the source of pain that creates the lameness. This is done in a thorough, systematic approach that begins with watching the horse move. We will watch your horse "in hand," "under saddle," or both. A complete musculoskeletal exam with diagnostic tests will help us to localize the source of the lameness.
These diagnostics can include:
- Diagnostic nerve or joint blocks
- Digital ultrasound
- Digital radiography
- Neurologic exam (some neurologic disorders can mimic a lameness)
Once we diagnose the source of the lameness, we will recommend a treatment plan to get your horse back to health. There is a wide range of treatment options that we can use. They range from simply rest and shoeing changes to some of the following therapies:
- Intra-articular therapy
- Shockwave treatments—High-energy acoustic pulses that travel through tissues to affect the structures being treated. It can promote healing and provide anti-inflammatory properties.
- Regenerative therapies—Ask us about PRP, IRAP, and stem cell therapy, which are additional treatment modalities to help your horse recover to his or her full potential.
- Acupuncture & Laser Therapy—Dr. Linda Rydgig is IVAS certified in veterinary Acupuncture and also certified in laser therapy. Her extensive experience in treating the equine athlete has helped alleviate musculoskeletal pain, nerve damage, laminitis, ocular pain and more.